Re: [Amc-list] Disc brake swap

I recently received a set of the conversion brackets made by SCAREBIRD. The guy sells brackets for several makes on e-bay. Nothing listed for AMC right now, but check this auction out for contact info: http://stores.ebay.com/Tallzag-Auctions-Mopar-Disc-Brake (click on Mopar disc brake conversions on the left). The brackets are 1/4" steel with reinforced caliper mounts (nuts welded on). They aren't soft 1/4" plate though -- they don't easily flex. They are at least high quality cold-rolled steel. The brackets come with bearing spacers to use a Ford rotor (Ranger, I think?) and standard GM calipers. I haven't run them, just thoroughly inspected the brackets. I plan on using the setup on a future project. This looks like the ticket for a good, inexpensive disc brake setup that uses readily available parts. You keep your drum brake spindle. Not sure if it will work with disk brake spindles -- would probably require some spacers to center the caliper. It won't work with the 75-78
 "big b
endix" spindles (all 75-76 cars used Big Bendix, 77-78 Matador).
--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"