Re: [Amc-list] Disc brake swap

" From: <mariclairemccall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Now that i'm finishing my motor I want to do a disc brake swap next. My 71 Javelin SST has drum brakes all the way around. Is there a kit or easy swap to change over to disc brakes? I am currently running some 14 inch AMC pacer mags on it and the will go away for some 15 or 16 inch rims (no low rider tires though!)

no kit, but the easy swap is later amc disks.  '74-8 big bendix are
the most powerful but getting hard to find rotors for; likewise '77-8
small bendix.  '79-'81 small bendix and '82-up delco [?] share a
relatively easy-to-find rotor; delco calipers were used up to '89 on
jeeps and in best supply.

you'll want lots from the donor car - master cyl, brake distribution
block, and complete spindle/knuckles.

there's a mopar rotor - napa #85563 - used '74-'84 in big cars and
small trucks which uses the same bearings as the big bendix, but at
11.75" you'd have to mod or fab the caliper brackets [which might be
easy] as that's almost 1" larger than the amc rotor.  otoh it'd go
well with your larger wheels...

is your car a 6?  you may want to seek out a spirit amx or concord
wagon as your disk donor, as they - and a few other models - had 10"
rear drums on the amc15 axle, instead of 9s.  btw these drums were
used '73-'92 on various amcs and jeeps so again supply is good, but
on the amc15 only some late '70s - early '80s cars had them.