Re: [Amc-list] Update on compression problem 66 Ambo

Re: [Amc-list] Update on compression problem 66 Ambo

Duane,

I think you're about at the same point Tom Jennings was a few weeks ago
with his American. Your best bet at this point is to get the gas tank
cleaned and sealed before you do anything else and then yank the head
off and clean it up. When you go to put the manifolds back on, follow
the procedure at
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/loose_intake.shtml which is
based on a TSB AMC issued in the late sixties about a surging/rough idle
problem.

Matt

Raymon Hacking wrote:
> Tom thank you so much for your input!  I didn't have any trans fluid handy so I sprayed a lot of wd40 in the intake and turned crank by hand many times today.  When the little wife got home had her crank engine for me; and upon closer inspection noticed all rockers moving what appeared to be normal EXCEPT # 6...one rocker was moving at a "delayed" pace; not crisp movement...looked like it was in suspension the whole time it was moving...not closing all the way and not really opening all the way.  Did another compression test and found all cylinders back up again except # 6.  Dont know why the other 2 ( #4 and #5) came back up; but they did and they were at dead zero before.
>   I've got a few feedback that suggested trans fluid down carb...sea foam down carb..and even brake fluid mixed with gas down carb; all followed by hand cranking multiple times followed by attempted start and if engine starts to follow up by same fluids down carb while running at mid rpm's.  One stated after that to "drown/stall" the engine with sea foam let sit then start and blow it out with the engine again.
>   Any thoughts on any of thes suggestions?
>   Thanks again Tom in advance....and thanx once again to Dave Stohler...I read a lot of posts from both of you often...guys like you keep guys like us going.
>   Duane
>   Dallas/Ft Worth
>   71 Javelin
>   oh yea...69 Rebel soon to be in Tx if I get me extra garage built

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon