Re: [Amc-list] 287 problems

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 12:31 -0700, d stohler wrote:
> ok, things already done to my 287 while it is STILL
> having this problem are as follows.
>
> 16 new pushrods
> 16 new lifters
> 8 new spark plugs
> 8 new plug wires
> 1 new distributor cap
> 1 new rotor
> 1 accel coil
> 2 heads removed, valve seats resurfaced, valve gides
> resurfaced
> 1 new timing chain
> 1 new crank gear, no cam gear as it was not availible
> oil changed

Then it's probably none of those things! Short of crushed exhaust (which
you can usually hear at the tailpipe) it's gotta be carb/ignition stuff
or cam timing.

If you did all of the above, short of a terrible bottom-end problem
hiding you'll have a nice motor when you do get it going.

Do the basics... it runs, right? Pull the distrib hose off and plug it,
leave it off until later. Make sure static timing is close to TSM at
least, rev it up, it should go up to 20 degrees more advance. If not,
distrib is broke.

Etc. Step at a time. It'll take longer to take shortcuts than it will do
simply go through all the steps. Assume nothing!