[Amc-list] 287 problems

ok, things already done to my 287 while it is STILL
having this problem are as follows.

16 new pushrods
16 new lifters
8 new spark plugs
8 new plug wires
1 new distributor cap
1 new rotor
1 accel coil
2 heads removed, valve seats resurfaced, valve gides
resurfaced
1 new timing chain
1 new crank gear, no cam gear as it was not availible
oil changed

i am closing in on the $400 mark invested into the
engine alone. it is friggin frustrating. i am going to
try the exhaust thing. im sure it is not the carb, as
i put on a week old remanufactured motocraft 2100
carb, ran GREAT on the 70 torino gt it was for. there
was only a marginal increase in rpm's. maybe 100
rpm's. i just got a compression testor. that will be
the next thing to check. when i had the heads off
however, the cylinders looked great, no ridge or
nothing. the top rings i could see did not have any
large gap or nothing in them. the mechanical advance
seems to be working. in park with my timing light and
the timing mark moves. while having it in gear, and
trying to get it to move, adjust the distributor, no
effect. hear it start knocking when it gets to far
advanced thats about it.

i am going to disconnect the manifolds, run it strait
out of the heads and see what happens. annoy the heck
out of the neighbors.

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules