Re: [Amc-list] 287 problems

And just in case your timing marks are off on the
balancer, you can time it at hot idle with a vacuum
gauge.  Hook a vacuum gauge to a source of manifolf
vacuum (below the throttle plates) and adjust the
distributor either way until you get maximum vacuum on
the guage, which should be about 18-20 inches of Hg.

The outer ring of the balancer has been known to slip
(and I had one rebuilt and the shop reindexed it
incorrectly).

Good Luck,
Joe Fulton