Re: [Amc-list] 1967 Rebel Wagon roof rack removal

Re: [Amc-list] 1967 Rebel Wagon roof rack removal

John,

You'll need to drop the rear headliner to get to the fasteners that hold
the corner posts in place. The stainless strips in the middle have
plastic clips that hold them in place. You can pop the strips off with a
small flat blade screw driver. The clips themselves have a small plastic
stake in them that hold them in place. I'm not sure if you can get those
clips any more so I'd leave them in place if possible.

To drop the rear headliner, remove the bow that goes between the front
and rear parts, any lights, and the trim across the back by the
tailgate. Very carefully push up around the sides by the windows to get
the edge out of the J channel. Get someone to help you and with a long
handled flat bladed device scrape between the roof and the pad (it looks
just like carpet padding and there is one pad at each end of the
headliner) holding the middle of the headliner up. You need to store the
headliner someplace where it can rest pretty side up. When you go to
reinstall it, you may need to replace the pad -- make sure you use
automotive grade materials. Use heavy duty headliner adhesive to glue
the pad to the headliner and the pad to the roof.

Also, you need to be very, very careful with the headliner. It's
basically fancy cardboard and they can become very brittle with age. If
they get wet or the car was owned by a heavy smoker, there is a good
chance it will crumble when you remove it.

I think you can get the mounting gaskets for the posts still. They were
used on a variety of years.

Matt

JohnBherna@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to remove the roof rack on my 1967 Rebel Wagon.  I need to remove
> surface rust and prime.  I noticed there is a strip running across the inner head
> line with screws.  I was wondering if I remove the strip I can gain access to
> the screws to remove the chrome ends of the roof rack.  I any info will be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John
> San Jose, Ca