Re: [Amc-list] Fire up the way back Sherman, let's visit the 1934 versio

Re: [Amc-list] Fire up the way back Sherman, let's visit the 1934 version of the 252

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:53 -0700, John Elle wrote:
> What is the interest in the 252 other than History. The engine dates
> back to 1934 and it developed 75 hp at 3200 rpm.

Gosh golly Johnnie, we could gets us a lot a plowin' done with all them
horses! Jess think!

> The stroke on this thing is enormous looked at from the short stroke
> stand point, the power is at best anemic compared like size engines
> today and in it's final stages it was about as outdated as any engine
> could be with the only savings grace that it had a lot of company at
> that time.

2nd gear, 10 miles an hour, light turns green: foot to floor, it lugs.
Fun! :-) Slow :-(

>  what left over 30's engine that was
> still in use at the time was much if any better?
> Curious minds ponder!

Indeed! :-)

I think I said once recently, the 63 Rambler American might be the
newest-oldest American car ever made. That makes it sort of interesting
in it's own way.

Nash suspension, ancient Nash motor, vacuum wipers, manual overdrive,
all dating from the 30's through early 50's, yet made new in 1963, with
dual master cylinder and in-head valves. It's like a Model A with
factory hydraulic brakes and overhead valves! What could be more fun?

I assume that the 252 (and the rest of that line) is a boat-anchor
(correction: two boat anchors), but it's interesting to compare to the
195.6 (both versions). I realize the 195.6 is a weak and flawed motor by
nearly any measure but it has its fun points, and besides, it's what's
in there, and it fits :-)

If we wanted nothing but the latest technologies, we'd all be hanging
out with the Import kids, right?