[Amc-list] Fire up the way back Sherman, let's visit the 1934 version of

[Amc-list] Fire up the way back Sherman, let's visit the 1934 version of the 252

What is the interest in the 252 other than History. The engine dates
back to 1934 and it developed 75 hp at 3200 rpm. A real power house in
it's day and application I am sure, sporting a compression ratio of
5.54:1 and 217 cu in. It was in production for a long period of time as
many '30's engines were and by the time the middle '50's rolled around,
the types of cars and the roads they rode on had changed and average
speeds were higher and many of the '30's engines were long in tooth and
short in power and stamina. The 1954 252 developed 130 hp at 3700 rpm
with a 7.6:1 compression ratio or 140 ho at4000 rpm with an 8:1
compression ratio if you had an automatic.
The lower end components were interchangeable if my data is correct so
almost twice as much horsepower is being developed  by 20% higher rpm
running 30% more compression pulling a heavier car at higher average
speeds than any engine designer in 1934 ever imagined.  The short block
for the overhead valve I-6 was changed from the original L-6 design by
relocating the water pump from the generator shaft to the front of the
engine in it's final configurations and some casting work to get rid of
the vestiges of the L-Head porting etc.
The stroke on this thing is enormous looked at from the short stroke
stand point, the power is at best anemic compared like size engines
today and in it's final stages it was about as outdated as any engine
could be with the only savings grace that it had a lot of company at
that time.
So if it chugged rod bearings as a force of habit or the mains were not
all that stable or there was a bit of crank shaft whip when you tried to
twist it tight "but not too tight" what left over 30's engine that was
still in use at the time was much if any better?
Curious minds ponder!
John