Re: [Amc-list] rebuilding 304 questions

I gotta say this:  If it's your first engine you will
want to build some confidence that your are doing the
job right.  Besides the TSM that Tom recommended
below, buy a good book like one of the David Vizard
books on rebuilding an engine.  He will explain the
proper order in which to reassemble it and explain the
science behind it.  The TSM will give you all the
torque specs and the order in which to torque the head
bolts, but it does not give all the recommended
clearances as I recall.  The David Vizard books are
written for Chevy or Ford motors but the principles
are the same.   Vizard suggests modern sealants like
RTV which are not mentioned in the TSM.

Ask questions of the list here has you go if you need
to.  There are experienced builders here (I'm not
among them.) that can help.

And remember cleanliness of the parts and the work
space is very important.  Store the engine and major
parts in plastic bags when they are not being worked
on.

Joe Fulton