Re: [Amc-list] Vacuum to electric wipers 1964 Ambassador

Re: [Amc-list] Vacuum to electric wipers 1964 Ambassador

Gary,

I think you can use electric wipers from a 64-66 Ambassador, Classic, or
Marlin. You will probably end up paying in the $150-$200 range for a
complete used set up. It should have the wiper motor and mounting plate,
linkage, motor to linkage clip (these are available if you don't get
it), arms, wiring harness, and switch. Rebuilt electric wiper motors are
likely still available (I think it was used by other makes as well). It
does, however, take different linkage to make the wipers work correctly
because the vacuum motor reciprocates and the electric motor is rotary.
Your best bet for getting a set is going to be one of the club's
classified ads (I would think the AMC Rambler Club's would be the most
likely) or eBay. Also, the Kenosha (WI) Historical Society is putting on
a car show at the end of July and both times I've been there, the swap
meet was awesome.

Also, it doesn't look like this was a common option so you will probably
need to look around a good bit to find a set. In the mean time, as long
as you still have the dual action fuel pump, it's pretty easy to hook
the wipers up. There should be a hard line from the intake manifold to
the "IN" side of the vacuum booster pump and a flexible vacuum hose from
the "OUT" side of the pump to the fitting on the side of vacuum motor.
Assuming the vacuum booster pump is good, the vacuum motor is good, and
the engine develops good vacuum, the wipers work pretty well. I've
driven both of my Americans in heavy rain in town and have had no
problems with the wipers. Just remember -- vacuum wipers suck, but only
if they're working!

Matt

grobblee@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm new here as I just purchased a 1964 Ambassador 4 dr 327-2V about a week ago.  This is my first classic AMC (currently have three Jeeps though) been a GM guy and also have a 70 Olds 442. The question I have is the vac system for the wipers is not connected, I am sure I can get this going but I would like to convert to electric.  Is there a later factory AMC electric motor that bolts in place of the vacuum motor? If someone knows a year and model to ask for at the parts counter it would be very helepful.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH