Re: [Amc-list] Stohler's Barn Find '62 (American)

Re: [Amc-list] Stohler's Barn Find '62 (American)

A.  A/C ? in a '62 ?  How 'Rare' is that ?
    Built into the dash or hung under unit ?

AC in a pre 68 American is pretty rare, the older the rarer. These were the "price leaders" back then, and AC was uncommon in ANY 62 except maybe a Cadillac or Lincoln. Ambassadors didn't get air that often either. There will be a few more AC cars in the southwest of all years.

The factory installed AC unit in the 62 American was sort of an underdash affair. The evaporator was built into the heater unit but the vents came out under the dash in the center. A dealer installed or aftermarket unit will have the evaporator made in to a box type housing with the vents on front.

I know Brien is really asking if it's factory or aftermarket air. If it's the factory unit it is a rare one indeed! A lot of cars had the underdash units added in the late 60s or early 70s, but not so many 6-10+ year old cars (at teh time).

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"