[Amc-list] T-5 OD gear

The 0.62 OD gear is probably going to be a bit tall with a 3.55 axle. I have a 0.70 OD (early AW4) and cruise at 76 mph @ 2400 rpm. With a 0.62 OD my car would be running 85.6 mph at the same rpm, 71.3 @ 2000 rpm. You need to cruise above 1800, preferably around 2000, with the 4.0L for best efficiency. 2500+ rpm will cause the computer to enrichen the mixture enough that you'll notice the mileage difference -- found that out on my 93 Cherokee years ago. My Renix engine acts the same. That's why I geared and adjusted tire size to cruise around 75 @ 2400 rpm. I generally cruise at 70 (2200 rpm). I'm running 205/70R15 tires, yours may be smaller. A 205/70R14, for example, would run 82 mph @ 2400 rpm w/3.55 gears/0.62 OD, 69 mph @ 2000. That might be better. Just means you'll only use fifth on the interstate (or similar highways). If you haven't bought wheels and tires yet use them to fine tune your ratio. I use the calcualtors at www.4lo.com. There are other sites -- that one's
 easy t
o remember and has everything, including tire diameter, right there.

I wanted to run 60 or 65 series tires (whichever got me in the rpm range I need) and 16" wheels, but couldn't find any deep offset 16s in the old Chevy (5x4.75") bolt pattern the Jag axle needs. Those I did find were 8" wide or wider and wouldn't fit the old Rambler wheel wells very good.

------------
> i actually think - without experience - that the 2.95 t5 with 0.8 5th
> wouldn't be too bad in the sort of cars i lean toward, six powered.

Gee I hope not! It's what I'm putting in mine. Although I'm figuring on keeping
the hgiher OD.
It's .62 or so isn't it?
 Final axle ratio will be 3:42 or 3:55, depending on if it gets a Fraud or
Chebbie rear axle, still looking.
--
Mark Price

--