Re: [Amc-list] Rambler 327

The problem with the valves will go away if you just disassemble and thoroughly clean the heads. Run a small brush (large pipe cleaner?) through the guides with plenty solvent.

One tooth either way on a cam is a LOT of advance/retard -- about 10-15 degrees? I've got the books I need with that info packed away now!! It sounds like the chain has stretched enough to throw it 2-5 degrees off, which could be the power loss. Also check that the mechanical and vacuum advances are working correctly.

If you really think you want (or can find) a 327, you might not want to bother with the 287 anymore. On the other hand, anything you do to or buy for the 287 will swap over to a 327. The heads are the same, so if you rebuild or clean up the heads on the 287 they can still be used on a 327 if/when you get it. The only thing you'd lose is the head and timing cover gaskets -- you can even swap a new chain over. With that in mind, I think I'd look another 3-4 weeks then go ahead with the 287.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"