[Amc-list] You Asked ? I'm talkin.......

[Amc-list] You Asked ? I'm talkin.......

408rwhp in a '79 'mX ?

Promise me you'll not be 'Huggin Trees ?

Had one friend hug a '71 Camaro - long short story.....
ask God about 'Mario'.....if you have a chance.

The drummer for Ozzie Osborne, another Mario,  in the video:

'CraZy Babies' does this one move that illustrates it
best - can't miss it - VH-1 classics - Head bangers Ball.

Straight Lines Only Baby! and you're OUT at 99!

".....99 and a half just won't do !.."

Honestly, you're not far from the Finished Product -
so here are some 'Talking Points' to tie up before
you Fire the Rig:

Use a 'Torque Strap' on the engine - keeps the
motor from 'rocking'.

You Want to Stick It to 'em or you want to Pull the Trigger
and GO ?

If you want a Stick Transmission - you want a
Series III TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO R154 transmission.

If you hurry - there was  one on eBay just missed
for $300.00.   '86 - '92
use an AX15 '97 - '99 bell housing from a Cherokee XJ -
get the arm / bearing - Reservoir and slave too - don't let them
cut the hose between the two - @ $129.00 !

If you want a 6spd. automatic - use the FORD / gm
unit - new in 2006 - find one on www.car-parts.com
behind a LINCOLN Navigator 2wd 5.4 three valve engine -
it is * a Honey*..........

This is a ZF 6hp26 transmission - check it on Wikipedia -
great write up - Maserati owners like 'em too.

Nice choice 'Juicy' - upgrade for  TorqueFlite users ~..~

The Turbo Supra trans has been used behind 600HP engines
without problems - much better than Muncie's and lighter
than T-56 6spd transmissions - only other choice is a
Getrag 'n they are pricey and heavy - like the T-56.

You'll want an ORGANIC clutch with a Spring Loaded disc !

Advanced Adapters can make one up from a Toyota Disc for you.

Use a 'Lite Flywheel' - so you can 'blip' up or down to gears.

I remember that clutch pressure plates have come a long way -
get one for a 'Daily Driver' - not a 'moosey' leg twitcher -
and 'baby the clutch'.

Clutch / PP / Flywheel > to the Balance Shop.

Rear end is a FORD 9" - or - a Dana 60 out of a Roadrunner?
or 'other' MoPar.

Other rear would be a early Jag XKE with the inboard disc
brakes & 4 coil over shocks - very nice - but squats when
drag racing from a dead stop...... so what.

This would be the way to go for a handling car - ask Frank.

The rear would be slightly heavier than a solid rear axle -
which would need to be set up with a road race 4 link system.

I have wondered about using a TOYOTA Turbo LSD rear center & shafts
in a JAG XKE carrier - need to read up more on that.

If you're crafty - maybe a 'Vette rear end.....could be a pita tho.

BIG NOTICE!

BEFORE you put this 'Take No Prisoner' Engine in the casket -
set up the front end with BAER 4 piston caliper brakes -
44mm / 40mm pucks - and fancy Rotors !

check the FORD Cobra guys @ www.coral.org for what they are
using - get 'em Used off the internet - ask on the Forums.

Use Braided Steel Lines - FIRST CLASS ONLY - .

This is NO JOKE .

You're a '150 Shot' of NOS away from 600rwHP on the Street
and 'Speed Junkies' were all Conservative Republicans at one time.

Set the car up for the Task - first time you pull yourself out
of a squirrlie DOA - you'll remember our little talk.

I would also get upper and lower front control arms made up
from something other than pressed Tin .

Check like the PONTIAC GTO magazines for who makes their after market
control arms - call them / send in a set of '79 Spirit
up/lo arms for them to measure up.

Check around - there are alot of Fabbers for these so don't
pay thru the nose.

Dirt Track Racers are a source too -
we have alot of those around here - and alot of Fabbers too -
and they like Fabbing.

Poly bushing lower / Rubber Bushing Upper - won't shock
the car this way & will improve handling.

A set of front variable rate front springs -
would make the car .feel and handle better than stockers .

Just holding the nose off the ground is good for K-Mart
parking lots - Eaton is one name - there is another.

Not too stiff - tell them you want the front end to 'Track'
not 'skip'.  Give the engine weight - like 650lbs.

Keep the stock steering box - not a 'Quick Ratio' unit -
you don't want 'Quick' anything at speed - one sneeze and
you're in another lane ?  nuhh -  uhh.

With the 343 weight - make a removable Brace that runs
from shock tower to shock tower and from tower to firewall
'plate' -  both sides.

Measure the distance - check what the Rice Rockets are using
in their HONDAs in a magazine - copy.

Does this car have a 'SUNROOF' ?

Might consider 'bracing'  the Firewall from behind -
tie that in to the floor / rocker panel / torque boxes
area...... box channel would work - or tube steel.

Talk with some Dirt Track racer guys - they Fab alot.

If you cut the front radiator brace on your Spirit - and
let it sit for a week - the fender wells would begin to
fold into each other.....just a side note.....

Tie in the sub frames with weld in connectors - some people
'notch' the floor pans to get a straight shot - don't forget
to use www.corroless.com rust killing paint under / over /
inside channels 'n rocker panels.  Make up a plastic 'wand'
with a spray nozzle in the end to pump it into places.

The car is going to flex and open up old painted seams -
which if not coated will start to rust - eventually - .

I would consider a 'Roll Bar' - something to keep the
roof off your eyebrows should you blow a Tyree at Speed.

Tying the car together will keep the windshield in one piece too.

I'd install some type of Fire Suppression under the hood -
just in case - easier to trigger this from inside the car
than to watch it burn down..... cheap.

My guesstimate is 10.5" rims for the rear - will save
you buying Tyres every other month.

that's my 'Short' form..... ;)

Garry Nordstrom wrote:
> your thoughts: would like to put my 343. dynoed @ 408 HP in my 79 AMX,
> but drive tran will not take the power, am I dreaming. your thoughts
> appreciated
> Garry in Minnesota
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brien Tourville" <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                            ___
        =Bt=              /~   ~\
  milnersXcoupe          |_      |
   "The Heretic"         |/     __-__
                          \   /~     ~~-_
                           ~~ -~~\       ~\
                            /     |        \
               ,           /     /          \
             //   _ _---~~~    //-_          \
           /  (/~~ )    _____/-__  ~-_       _-\             _________
         /  _-~\\0) ~~~~         ~~-_ \__--~~   `\  ___---~~~        /'