Re: [Amc-list] 62 classic poly bushings

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

how much different are all the bushings on my 62 from
my 65. i have heard the strut rods have different
bushings. what about control arms?

those of you who have poly bushings, where did you
purchase yours? thanks.

IIRC the upper arm inner bushings are the same on the 62 and 65 -- all the big cars from 56-69, I believe. The lower bushing should be the same also. Be aware that poly bushings in those locations WILL ride rougher. I use poly on the shock ends and sway bar end links, but rubber everywhere else. You can use modern two piece strut rod bushings on the pre 68 cars, but then you HAVE to use a half-n-half bushing -- poly on the front, rubber on the back. You have to cut down the front bushing to fit. Do that to a rubber one and it won't hold up (see photos and how-to at http://www.wps.com/AMC/Strut-bushing/index.html -- I cut mine with a hack saw). You WILL notice every pot-hole you hit, as the poly bushing transmits every jar right through the floor. I didn't like it to the point that I cut my stock strut rod in half and welded the back end of a Concord rod to it so I'd have adjustable strut rods that fit. A good welder can do it easily.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"