Re: [Amc-list] Door Locks, Keys

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Mon, 14 May 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
"
" > I found by accident that my 97 Cherokee XJ key will start my Dakota and vice versa, but the keys won't unlock either of the alternate vehicles :[
"
" There's probably only a few hundred key combos in the old key world. I
" know this has all changed with modern keys and newer keyless.

true.  iirc it changed some time in the mid/late '60s; thieves needed
too few master keys to be able to steal any car.

true story: the first new car my parents bought was a '55 bel air
wagon, green.  one day in the early '60s my mother and i come out of
the finast supermarket in downtown concord and get into a green wagon.
i don't recall if it was locked; i think not, in those long-ago
innocent days.  i immediately notice it's not our car because the
seats are covered, similar to the original vinyl but not exactly the
same.  mom gets the key in and starts the car and is about to drive
off before she also realizes it's not ours.

what's the chance of two identical models keyed the same in a town of
~20000?  even with the limited number of keys it's gotta be pretty
low.

" (Old keyless, even up through the 21st century, are shockingly
" poor; anything that uses "rolling code" technology is trivially
" crackable. Turns out a simple 'back door' is built into the
" algorithm!)

more innocence; they were thinking of convenience, not security.