Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV

On Sun, 6 May 2007, JOE FULTON wrote:

> Just a caution on the pushrods, because I really do
> want the car to work out for you.  My neighbor has a
> Ford pickup with a V8 which was bending pushrods when
> he bought it used.  It had had fresh machine work done
> on the heads.  He sent it to a local machine shop
> (that has done work for me successfully) and it still
> bent pushrods after the machine work.  We believe that
> the valve guides are still too tight.  He has been a
> little strapped for money, so he has not worked with
> the machine shop to correct the problem.  He's working
> again now, so he plans to get the truck back on the
> road soon.

Thanks for the warning. I think I'm OK here on that account.
The valves are original, and the valve guides were good, so
neither was replaced.  They really were sticking due to that
goo caused by the bad stem seals; when I bench-cleaned one with
solvent (AeroKroil) then it did not stick.

I can now press valves open with my palm. The springs are that
weak! (Not broken, and I talked to the shop about just selecting
12 good springs from the pile, so I assume they did that.)

Also, the piston crowns cleaned up very nicely. Solvent on a
rag took it all off. It was only slightly crunchy, so probably
it was recently burned-on oil from running after the long sit.

There is no, zero, cylinder ridge. I cleaned the crud off
the top of the cylinder, and I cannot detect any ridge with
my fingernail.  Crosshatch visible too. However, some light
staining from sitting.

Piston tops are marked "40" which I take to be .040" over,
but who knows. I don't have an inside mike, and I forgot to
stick the inside caliper in it before I bolted it up. Oh well.

All indications are that this motor has very few miles on
a rebuild, then it sat to rot and gum up. I took photos of
the innards.

The new-fangled rear seal arrives later this week, so I'll
pull the pan probably three weekends. Busy next weekend, and
travelling the one after.