Re: [Amc-list] Flash-O-Matic leaking at front

Re: [Amc-list] Flash-O-Matic leaking at front

Roger,

I'm not an expert on anything, let alone a B-W tranny,
but I have replaced a couple of front pump seals on
torqueflites and GM trannies.

>From your description, the problem my be either a
crack in the torque convertor (or leaking drain plug
if there is one in that torque convertor) but more
likely is a front pump (shaft) seal.  The seal
surrounds the input shaft in the front of the
transmission and both the transmission and torque
convertor must be removed to replace it.  The seal
should be easy to remove.  You can drive the
replacement seal in carefully with just a small
hammer.  I just checked an M-12 B-W tranny I have
access to and the front seal on that tranny is very
prominent and easy to get to.  Hopefully, the Marlin
tranny is also built that way.

When you replace the seal, check the input shaft of
the tranny for damage.  It should not exibit any rough
surface which might damage the seal.

The seal should have a part number (seal number)
stamped on it and be very visible so it can be ordered
by that number or can probably be cross-referenced to
an available number.

Good Luck,
Joe Fulton