[Amc-list] Flash-O-Matic leaking at front

[Amc-list] Flash-O-Matic leaking at front

I'm helping a friend with her '65 Marlin. The car has developed a leak
in the front of the automatic transmission, fluid dribbles right down
the center of the bell housing when the engine is running. (The car has
the 327 cid engine, so has the big cast-iron BW tranny.)

I assume the major suspect would be the seal between the torque
converter and transmission, though obviously I won't really know
what's going on until the transmission is taken out of the car.

The factory service manual doesn't mention this seal in the instructions
on dealing with the torque converter. How tough a job is it to replace
once the tranny is out? Better to take it to a shop? I don't
think this transmission needs a complete overhaul, as it was rebuilt
less than 20,000 miles ago and aside from the leak it works fine.
(Though timewise the overhaul was done over 20 years ago.)

Any tips on fixing this and/or parts sources for a replacement seal
would be greatly appreciated!

--
   Roger Blake
   rogblake@xxxxxxxxx