[Amc-list] Moser Axles

I have seen the talk about Moser axles on the list. I have used Moser
axles in several street/strip AMC's over the years and had no problems.
But last year we sent the axles out of our son Terry's 67 Rogue (the
"RUMBLER") to Moser and got back the new Moser axles. We found one was a
1/4" to long. So we took it to a machine shop a couple of miles from us
but they didn't have the right equipment to shorten it but put us on to a
guy only a mile from me that, unbelievably, had the right equipment to do
it in his garage at home!!

There are people who have had problems with Moser axles. A couple of
months ago we did an article in NAMDRA's newsletter by Ray Larson who
races his 72 Jav/AMX in solo road races. He was having problems with the
Moser axles plus his brother and another AMX racer both had the axles
break at the wheel, losing their wheels. Luckily no one got hurt. Ray's
problem with the Moser axles were that the axles would tear up the seals
and soak his rear drums, causing lose of braking. Ray got ahold of Moser
and the fix was for him to send the whole axle, housing and everything to
Moser where they cut the ends off the housing and welded on old style
Ford 9" axle housing ends. This allowed the use of the 9" bearings and
axles. The axles had the AMC splines cut onto the inner ends of the 9"
axles. Plus this allowed Ray to put a set of Wildwood rear disc racing
brakes on the Jav/AMX.

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA  NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx or
namdra1@xxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 53168 (262) 843-4326
'07 AMC NATIONALS - SEP. 6-8, 2007 - CORDOVA DRAGWAY PARK, CORDOVA, IL

          JOIN NAMDRA - The best AMC club around!!
AMCRC#974, AMO#19, IHRA#6766, NAMDRA#46, NHRA#1915