Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
> " From: gasnordstrom@xxxxxxxxxxx
> " the motor is a direct hook up to the torque converter. standard 3
> " speed auto.
>
> i understand their wish to keep things familiar, but this has to be
> the silliest, most mindless ways to hook the motor to the drivetrain!
> the tranny could easily be sucking half the motor's output!
>
> i think, with the flexibility of the electric motor a 3 speed stick
> - with ratios as wide as possible - would be plenty.  you'd save
> another 100lbs too.
>
> i'd even go farther and gut the tranny of 2nd and reverse, and work up
> a simple bellcrank linkage to work both shifter forks so that you
> straight-line shift from 1st directly to 3rd.  'low' is a granny gear
> for starting up; 'high' is for everything else.  a switch with a
> fwd/rev light in the quadrant would handle direction.  interlock so it
> only works in low...

That's why I'd have simply used the T-4 I have.
With the electric I can't see any point in retaining an automatic, unless you could go to a circle track type converter delete setup. Why dump that much energy into the torque converter? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sur ethey thought the only way to sell cars was with an automatic, likely true. I wonder, did they have a lockup converter inplace? If so, perhaps it has been modded to lock at a very low mph! That would help get the distance they were shooting for!
 I'd go with a stick for ease then once I learned what ratios I truely needed I'd decide if there was a point to removing the unneeded/unused ranges.
   I'd still like to build one, but the urge is going to have to hang around for a while till it overides the financing/cost issue. Payback is just too long for that much work.
   On the bright side, we have a great forecast this weekend and I'm finally off with no overtime!
The American needs a wipedown and the windows cleaned, but the speedo is calibrated and the oil is changed. Odometer on the Sport Comp speedo is showing all of 13 miles, All seems well, so I'm hoping to get some time in and run the numbers up some this weekend!
   It's been a long time coming.  Last July seems a milion years ago. My should is likely going to be a problem for the foreseeable future, but for this weekend I just want to go for a ride!!!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV