Re: [Amc-list] NAPAONLINE

A: I have been trying to find someone in the ecommerce dept like I did when
I worked at Schuck's (CSK.com) as I helped them improve the site
considerably from a layman's perspective. The stores were unable to check
the website (at least I can do that with NAPA) but I could access the other
company's websites (WTF?) I took my WebTV with me to work so I could search
the CSK site and others for the correct part numbers (that's how I pull down
a 90% correct parts the first time with NAPA's picture system)
   Our Regional managers are so techno-scared by the IT boogeymen that they
won't even switch us to a newer credit card system that's integrated to the
invoicing, so even if we have 20 customers in front of us, we have to first
look up and pick the parts, then run an invoice and take that invoice to the
credit card machine (hopefully the other 2 front counter employees aren't
already backed up on it because it takes @1-3 minutes for each transaction
and heaven help us if a fax comes in or goes out during that time!) Those 20
customers require 1 hour of time JUST to run the credit cards (impact
printer that is copyrighted to just after the last lunar landing is used for
2 copies at once, manually typed in, leaving a LOT of room for errors, and
when any "modern" printer would spit out at least 4 copies in the same
period of time)
   I pull down @50% of the sales monthly (sometimes more than commercial)
and I'm getting tired of the manually typing in of part numbers (and having
to memorize so many parts that DON'T have a number and sometimes not even a
bar code!) There is FAR too much room for error (even our recently added
scanner has been minimal help since there is only 1 in the store)
   The people are good to work for, but C'MON! It's 2007, not 1987 fer
crying out loud! That said, there is "supposed" to be an update coming
(today we were supposed to lose the blue screens and run just the silver
ones. I would've put in my notice. Glen, the 80 YO guy who worked there
since WWII decided now was the time to retire because of it!)
   While I'm griping, I don't hate my job. I enjoy working with people and
finding that part when no-one else can do it just makes it all the sweeter!
(the rare crank is annoying, but I get over it. I don't hide in the back
room when some customers come in, unlike other employees. I'm the one who
gets to deal with "Chester the molester" who is a wee too hypochondriac
about his Dodge van breaking down, when it hasn't since I pointed out the
cause of it's running issues as a bad battery clamp. His plate number is on
the wall at all schools to watch out for along with a picture of him and his
van)
   Dang it! I didn't mean to be this long winded or spill so much, but
them's the beans!