Re: [Amc-list] Off with it's head!

I saw something on My Classic Car recently about a new type  of "rope".
I think they said it was made out of Teflon and graphite and was much
easier to install without leaking. I don't recall who was selling it but
a search of their site may turn up something.

Matt

Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:
> I've used a 16d nail cut off to fit in the oil hole to run a main
> bearing shell out. That won't bend/shear like a cotter pin.
>
> Replacing a rope rear seal without dropping the crank is torture! I've
> done it, and getting it to not leak is tough. Such a replacement will
> usually last 4-6 months. There has to be a lost art to it!!

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon