[Amc-list] Re; ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

[Amc-list] Re; ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

On one of these posts it seems to me I saw the statement  that there
were Electric cars that could run about 300 miles on a charge. I believe
that premise is false.

I am not unfamiliar with the electric car and had the chance to look at
and drive the EV1 from General motors which was definitely a worth
while experience however it had a few flaws the kept me from looking
at it seriously at that time.

http://www.evworld.com/archives/testdrives/gmev1.html

December, 1996 the EV1 went on sale at selected Saturn dealerships
 in southern California and Arizona.

The EV1 currently leases for between $350 and $499 a month for
36 months.
The first flaw!

GM says the car will do 80 miles with a little prudent driving.
And the second!

Note that here is Phoenix it is FLAT. It even makes Florida look hilly.
However to go anywhere except Tucson it is up hill all the way once
you get about 30 miles out side of Phoenix or about 80 miles from
down town. A drive to Prescott is about 4000 feet up, and about 100
miles away and Flagstaff tops out over 7000 feet and about 135 miles
from my driveway. Even a drive across Phoenix from East to West
would exceed the estimated maximum  prudent one way distance.

This compared to state of art Electric Mobility of 1904 of aprox. 50
prudent miles.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z7404/Baker_Electric/default.aspx

Although with the EV1 you would have (and would need) air
conditioning

I have not seen an electric car or a conversion that had a realistic
claim of endurance much past 80 miles unless it was packed full
of batteries to the point of being useless for anything other than
being a novelty item.

The EV1 had all the luggage carrying capability of a large fluffy
pillow as I recall.

The two biggest problems in dealing with an electric car is weight
and range.

Starting with an AMC anything is counter productive as AMC
cars are heavy for their size even if it has a high novelty quota.

Although I have many times thought of building an electric car that
is loosely based on the early 30's Morgan trike using a swing arm
shaft drive motor cycle rear wheel supported by two quarter elliptic
springs, something on the order of a Beetle front suspension or
a lightweight hot rod tube axle ala. prewar Ford  style and a
Roadster body negating much of the need for air conditioning
The batteries would be hung outboard of the chassis which could be
as simple as a ladder type frame but more better would be a
tube type as used in Sprint cars and to solve the transmission
problem either use a snow mobile variable speed belt drive
or a chain drive system ala the Fraser Nash or some small
race cars that are in use today.
The batteries could be hung front to rear on both sides of the
chassis making access for maintenance and replacement
easy.
A transmission is an important part of the equation as even though
Frank pointed out, an Electric Motor develops maximum torque at
stall, it also develops maximum current at the point too which
is dissipated as heat so it would be beneficial to develop something
that would match motor rpm and waste heat developed to the
speed selected to optimize range. Range could also be enhanced
by developing some form of a switching regulator which I am
sure has already been developed.
As this 3 wheel roadster could be the lightest of weight and the
least practical body style it could be fun to drive and maybe
even have a useful range and to keep it related to an AMC List
I have a couple of spare Hornet badges that could be installed
on appropriate places on the body.
Anyway, the concept is fun.
John

.