Re: [Amc-list] Re; 327 Ramblings (Also I-6?)

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
. Will a 0.05" larger valve really make that much difference? For
> an all-out performance engine it might, but for a mid level street car I
> doubt it.

I just noticed this. The stock 327 valves are 1.406 , so an 1.50 chevy valve would be .10 [or .094] not 0.05"
If keeping valves in relation to sizes a 1.94 intake and a 1.5" exhaust would be close to equal on both sides, erring in towards more increase on the intake. Going to 1.6" exhaust leans toward a larger increase in exhaust.
  1.6 exhaust is an increase in size of 0.194" While the 1.94 intake is and increase of 0.153". I'm not sure the 1.94 and 1.6 combo wil fit safely. It would prbably burn the seat between the intake and exhaust. I'm not sure what minimum gap between valves is to be safe. anyone know?
   The safest thing is probably to go to 1.5" exhausts and leave the intakes alone. It's all a crap shoot right now.
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV