[Amc-list] Electric/semi-hybrid Rambler...

[Amc-list] Electric/semi-hybrid Rambler...

I've thought about building an electric or hybrid Rambler myself. The
sad fact is for the cost I could put a late model stick drivetrain in
and get 30+ mpg for a lot less money.

A 58-60 American would just look "cute" enough for an electric
conversion, is relatively light, and has room for batteries. Of course a
61-63 would fit the bill also. I joked once about putting an el cheapo
900 watt generator (http://www.heartlandamerica.com - scroll down for a
$129 generator -- says 1000 but that's probably peak power) under the
hood with a pull cord threaded through to just under the dash, sort of
like an OD handle. When the battery was starting to get low (about half
capacity) you could give it a tug and squeeze some extra mileage out,
and/or leave it running at stoplights or when parked if no outlet was
available. Now if you could find a little diesel gen you could run on
bio, but I don't think one is made compact enough. The generator isn't
big enough to do a lot, that's why power it up around 1/2-1/3 discharge,
but it would extend range by 20-30% economically. The pull handle under
the dash would fit the retro look quite nicely! A Met would seemingly be
a good candidate, but the Rambler doesn't weigh much more and has a lot
more battery room. The only disadvantage is it won't take 14" wheels up
front without major mods. Old Beetle width (6") tires would prove best
for economy in the 15" size.

If you could rob the automatic CVT system from an old combine or
something (find a Subaru Justy in the salvage yard?) that would be
killer! If the pulleys weren't to big I'd mount the whole thing unsprung
on the rear axle. Hmmm.... maybe a small car IRS could be adapted (or
the Justy front drive system in the back). Then the electric motor could
be mounted in the rear on the axle and engine bay stuffed with batteries
and the small generator. You'd lose half the trunk room, but I think
there would be room for the spare tire over the batteries in the
engine... err... battery... bay. Use a compact spare from an XJ Jeep...