[Amc-list] Old model names and 'missing years'

Ken Ames wrote:
> I believe there was a break in the Corvette - no 1983?
>
> Ken

and

Matt wrote:
>I don;t know if that was the year or not (I think it is) but it's not
that there weren't any of that year, it's just that there's *one* of
that year. It's on display at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling
Green, KY. BTW, this is a pretty cool place to visit. I stopped there
with one of my nephews back in 2003 on the way home from Power Tour and
we both enjoyed it.

I forgot about the 'missing year' Corvette.  A quick look in my Corvette
black book shows that although 44 1983 'Vettes were produced (including
the 23rd of 44 that is on display in Bowling Green - all others were
destroyed), the 1983 model year was officially scrapped due to production
problems in the transition from C3 to C4 Corvette.  So does that remove
Corvette from the long-lived list?

I don't know much about DeSoto models, including their Suburban that John
Elle pointed out.  The early (1935 until WWII) Chevrolet models were
called "Carryall Surburban" so maybe there was some modification of the GM
name to avoid overlap with the DeSoto model?

Although I think most of the new GM Suburbans are grossly underworked in
their use as 'super-sized' station wagons, I like the few 3/4 ton
'stripper models' that i occasionally see doing work as tow vehicles.
That probably stems from my memories of RI to ME travel in an early 1970s
Suburban towing either a camper or 2 horse trailer (and getting single
digit MPG doing it).

Cheers,
Dave Borkman
Saunderstown, RI