Re: [Amc-list] Electric/semi-hybrid Rambler...

Re: [Amc-list] Electric/semi-hybrid Rambler...

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I've thought about building an electric or hybrid Rambler myself. The
" sad fact is for the cost I could put a late model stick drivetrain in
" and get 30+ mpg for a lot less money.

late model, nothing!  i got 25+ mpg in my '66 199, with just a holley
economaster and ignition recurve kit!  with o/d i'm sure it'd reach
the 30s.

" A 58-60 American would just look "cute" enough for an electric
" conversion, is relatively light, and has room for batteries. Of course a
" 61-63 would fit the bill also. I joked once about putting an el cheapo
" 900 watt generator (http://www.heartlandamerica.com - scroll down for a
" $129 generator -- says 1000 but that's probably peak power) under the
" hood with a pull cord threaded through to just under the dash, sort of
" like an OD handle. When the battery was starting to get low (about half
" capacity) you could give it a tug and squeeze some extra mileage out,
" and/or leave it running at stoplights or when parked if no outlet was
" available. Now if you could find a little diesel gen you could run on
" bio, but I don't think one is made compact enough.

there are a surprising number of diesels as small as 3hp with engine
weights about 70 lbs, and similar footprints to gas engines though a
little bigger.  that'd be good for probably 2kw or maybe more, but you
may have to derate one to run at the efficiency peak.

i -think- i've seen small diesel gensets, but not this small.  would
be easy enough to do anyway.

i don't think you're likely to pull-start even as small a diesel as
this though...	;^<

a friend of mine got blacked out in the apr 16 storm up here, and ran
to get a generator to run his sump pump.  turns out his low-price
honda has a 3-phase alternator and inverter to output 120v 60Hz!  that
explains why you can master/slave-tandem multiple units...

" The generator isn't
" big enough to do a lot, that's why power it up around 1/2-1/3 discharge,
" but it would extend range by 20-30% economically. The pull handle under
" the dash would fit the retro look quite nicely! A Met would seemingly be
" a good candidate, but the Rambler doesn't weigh much more and has a lot
" more battery room.

and the rambler's engine etc weighs a lot more, giving you more room
in the electric conversion weight budget.

" The only disadvantage is it won't take 14" wheels up
" front without major mods. Old Beetle width (6") tires would prove best
" for economy in the 15" size.

citroen 2cv tires are even smaller, 125r15.  the electric rambler
might be overloading them, but 135r and 145r as well as the beetle's
155r have also existed.

i -think- 135s would just go on those stude 4" rims...

" If you could rob the automatic CVT system from an old combine or
" something (find a Subaru Justy in the salvage yard?)

this type of cvt is flexible but not particularly efficient.  did
justys really get much more mileage with it than with a conventional
gearbox?  and an electric motor's torque curve is -flat-.  i'm still
unconvinced you need more than 1 gear.

" that would be
" killer! If the pulleys weren't to big I'd mount the whole thing unsprung
" on the rear axle. Hmmm.... maybe a small car IRS could be adapted (or
" the Justy front drive system in the back).

the justy weighs less than half what the rambler does...

" Then the electric motor could
" be mounted in the rear on the axle and engine bay stuffed with batteries
" and the small generator. You'd lose half the trunk room,

maybe not that much.  remember there's no gas tank!

" but I think
" there would be room for the spare tire over the batteries in the
" engine... err... battery... bay. Use a compact spare from an XJ Jeep...

hmmm...  i wonder if the larger compact spares would have adequate
life as regular tires on a little american?  50-60 psi, low rolling
resistance...  probably not; the load/life curve can't be -that-
steep.