[Amc-list] Re; Details

Snip
Chevrolet Suburban - since 1935 (now at 72 years)
Snip

It is uncommon for two vehicles to carry the same
name while manufactured by two different companies.
The DeSoto Suburban was manufactured from 1946
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946>
through the 1954 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954>  model year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeSoto_Suburban

 Does that mean that the Chevy truck Suburban was
not called a Suburban during that time? Also it seems
to me that the Suburban was advertised using initials
foisted onto the unitiated and care-less public as
an SUV. (Sport Utility Vehical) although I have yet
to see what is sporty about a truck, or ulitarian
about cut pile rugs and leather interior. But was
it called a Suburban at that point in time. Inquiring
minds wonder.
Or then again, maybe nobody really cares whether a
truck and car are called by the same name. Or then
again, maybe they do which is why they buy Toyota's.

I recently had a discussion with a Chrysler employee
on how Chrysler had contributed much more money to
M.B. then M.B. did but the expenses of giving the
Chrysler employees the bennies they worked for
negated the profit. I could not help but stop and
think then when Chrysler decided the way to make money
was not by designing automobiles that the public
wanted and advertising and sell them but to close
the factorys and lay off the employees to show a
better profit picture on paper they also decreed
their own death knell on being able to pay their
own bills. If you don't build and sell cars, you
sure can not expect an income from it!
That is sort of like not working and then bitching
that you don't get paid for it. Duh!

I also had a discussion with a group of AMC hobbiest
during a judging seminar. It seemed that the
leader of the seminar wanted to give maximum points
to a particular car because----------the seams did
not line up (grossely) which is how the factory
assembled it.
I disagreed with that opinion. The seams did not
fit and it looked like crap. I personally did not
care how it got that way. Min. points awarded in
that category. 'Sides, that may be a very good
reason why AMC is out of production and Toyota
just passed GM as the largest automaker. No one
really wants to buy a poorly assembled car that
looks like crap and won't run well no matter
what the excuse is.

And as far as collecting such a car, why would I
want to pay good money go high light poor quality.
It makes no sense.

What ever.
John.