Re: [Amc-list] Off with it's head!

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Driving a rope rear main seal out with welding rod for a stick welder with the
> flux coat removed on a wire wheel.
>
> That trick I don't know of. How to insert the new one after?
>
> > Note; don't try the main shell withe a soft piece of crap cotter pin! Must be
> a solid quality pin! or you'l just shear the head off the pin!
>
> I'd probably machine down a brass screw instead.

You know I never got that far personally with the rear main! I saw dad do it several times.
The one time I needed to do it backin about 1990 on front dirve Ponyak The tsm mentioned instead of doing a complete removal to simply pack the rope seal solid and insert a piece on the end of the block side, then insert a new rop in the removed main cap, so thats the ay I did it and it worked perfectly. IIRC, Dad used the chinese finger puzzle tool made for pulling in rope seals. Other wise I suspect it would be nigh on to impossible.

  The barss screw is a good idea too.

I like the valve spring tool too! I use a socket and hammer to rap on the springs till the keepers pop out for quick dissassembly. It's a quick way to trash your knuckles if your not carefull!!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV