[Amc-list] 59 rebel question

Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 08:14 PM
From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>

I came across a 59 Rebel wagon this weekend and have a
question. It has a 327 in it. I pulled the covers and
they have hyd lifters (not the solids as in the 250)
plus the owner says the PO verified it so. and it is a
2V.
Now this guy claims it is a special order 327 Rebel
with a special order color combo. I have never heard
of such a thing, is it possible?

No, he's confusing his bastard car with the 57 Rebel because that's the
only one that came with a 327. You may have a 287 -- it also has
hydraulic lifters. Look for the bore size behind the right head on top
of the block. You'll need a strong flashlight and an inspection mirror,
maybe a small wire brush. Hard to get a look back there with the engine
in, but it will have 4.0 or 3.75 (maybe 3-3/4) cast in. The bigger is
the 327, of course. 250 would have 3.5 or 3-1/2.