Re: [Amc-list] Off with it's head!

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Matt Haas wrote:

> If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, stop in and pick up one of their El
> Cheapo paint gun cleaning brush sets. It has some very soft small
> brushes that should work for this. You'll probably ruin them by the time
> you're done but the set's only a couple bucks.

I disassembled the head tonight, made my self
a nifty high-tech valve spring removal tool.
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/images/exotic-valve-tool.jpg

I think I'm gonna drop the head off and have it boiled out
and checked for cracks. I took the head all apart; the old oil
made a goopy mess and is what glued the valves to the guides
and bent the pushrods.

The Sea Foam turned all the old oil into black asphalt which
sort-of hardens shiny like hot-mopped roofing tar. The valve stem
seals leak (old, stiff) and there was gooey stuff on the stems.

The valves look new-ish, you can see the underlying polish
with only mild scuffing; the head looks rebuilt recently in
miles, but long ago in years. The old oil seems to be the major
problem. They mike up prefectly round end to end.

So my plan is to drop the pan, clean it out, inspect the rod
bearings, probably take the pistons out one by one and clean
the rings with solvent, lube and reinstall.

Photos at

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American