Re: [Amc-list] changing Master cylinders from Wagner to Bendix

Re: [Amc-list] changing Master cylinders from Wagner to Bendix

" From: "Jay" <jciampi@xxxxxxxx>
"
" I removed the Wagner M/C from my 66 American and it looks pretty rough. I
" may be able to save it, but I have a new Bendix unit in my "spares" and I
" believe I can make it work by using adapters in the front and rear ports
" (the Bendix ones are next size up from Wagner ports). I don't know how
" critical the fact that  the rear port on the Wagner is in the rear and front
" brake port is in the front. The Bendix is just reversed, I believe.  Also I
" may need a Bendix "push-rod" or whatever it is called as the two units don't
" use the same length rods which connect to the brake pedal. I have manual
" brakes.

there's an additional problem: iirc the wagner has different front and
rear bores, unlike any other m/c i ever heard of.  just swapping the
bendix m/c would upset your brake balance, unless you also figure out
what wheel cylinders to switch to.

" The Wagner unit is obsolete and next impossible to obtain even though I was
" able to get a rebuild kit from RockAuto thanks to Matt Haas.
"
" What should I do?

if you had the parts, it wouldn't be hard to switch to bendix brakes
all around.  you could even step up to 10" drums with fronts from a v8
and rears from a spirit amx or concord wagon.