Re: [Amc-list] HEI distributor in AMCs

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Matt Haas wrote:

> The plug gap on my 78 El Camino is .045" and it doesn't have a problem
> eating caps or rotors. The factory cap went about 80,000 miles, I
> replaced the second cap at about 140,000 (along with the factory plug
> wires) when I gave it a good tune up. That was 5 years ago but I don't

Yeah, Kelly's right, .080 is too much. The HEI will spark it, but
the voltage will rise so high before it does that voltage will
leak over the otherwise-resistant paths (dusty/dirty surfaces)
and when the arc does strike, the initial currents will be huge
and eat the cap etc.

You need high voltages to strike arcs, especially through poor
conditions (fouled, flooded, sooty, etc) but it's the current
flowing that makes the heat that starts ignition of fuel.

(I bet if you made the gap .020 - .030" HEI would spark under
water :-)