Re: [Amc-list] Oil Filter Trevia

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Bruce Hevner wrote:

> You are mistaken if you think that today's oil filters are "full flow". They
> are STILL partial flow having an OIL FILTER by-pass either built in the
> filter it self or in the block. The filter CAN NOT flow all the oil to the
> motor especially when cold or when the filter is dirty. Under these
> conditions the OIL FILTER BY PASS (different than the OIL PUMP by pass)
> opens to let oil by the filter so the engine is not damaged from lack of
> lubrication. Dirty oil is better than no oil at all.
> Now once the oil comes up to operating temp and under MOST normal operating
> conditions, the filter is filtering MOST of the oil. But they are not truly
> "full flow" filters.

I'd totally forgot that!

Under normal hot-operating temp with no problems though all or most of
the oil is filtered.

I assume that you, Bruce, have seen every AMC motor there is,
but for those that haven't seen the 195.6 filter -- it's a
regular screw on type filter (migt even have same threads and
base as the 64-up filter). The modern filter (most AMC 6's and
8's) has a ring of 1/4" or so holes for oil to exit the filter;
the 195.6 filter has two (2) 1/8" (.125") holes. It lives on
top of the motor on a bracket, and is fed by three feet of 3/16"
brake line.  Oil goes pump --> filter --> sump.