[Amc-list] Oil Filter Trevia

You are mistaken if you think that today's oil filters are "full flow". They
are STILL partial flow having an OIL FILTER by-pass either built in the
filter it self or in the block. The filter CAN NOT flow all the oil to the
motor especially when cold or when the filter is dirty. Under these
conditions the OIL FILTER BY PASS (different than the OIL PUMP by pass)
opens to let oil by the filter so the engine is not damaged from lack of
lubrication. Dirty oil is better than no oil at all.
 Now once the oil comes up to operating temp and under MOST normal operating
conditions, the filter is filtering MOST of the oil. But they are not truly
"full flow" filters.
Now there are some engines set up to also filter the oil that is by-passed
from the main filter. They use a "main" filter AND a "by pass filter". In
this case ALL the oil IS filtered. Mostly used on large truck and industrial
engines.

Don't believe me?? Try running a filter with out a by pass on an engine
designed to have it in the filter. Then try running 20-50 oil on a nice cold
morning. One of two things will happen. IF the filter holds it will usually
blow the seal out from under it, or it will burst the filter, or it will
blow the filter right off the motor. Seen it happen!

So you want oil with "Zinky for your slinky" eh?? Try Shell Rotella T-15-40.
Has been around the trucking world for YEARS. I use it to break in engines
before I switch to Synthetic. If running a flat tappet lifter engine (and no
converter) I'll add half a bottle of GM- EOS supplement. ZDP is good for one
thing, CAM WEAR.
Bruce Hevner