Re: [Amc-list] Least Coast vs. Left Coast, old ramblers

Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 03:19 PM
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It appears that when a 195.6 OHV sits for a while the valves
> tend to stick.

That could explain the bent ones, but why did the others
fall out?! They had no bends detectable with a Starrett 18"
straightedge. It's just f'ing weird I tell ya.

Even if the valve isn't stuck now, if it stuck some, the pushrod coule fall out. Say it stuck enough to be slow -- slower than the cam lobe. The cam lobe would be in the valve closed position but the valve isn't there yet -- pushrod falls out. That's most likely when the pushrod bends too -- when the pushrod comes up and is partially out of the socket because the valve wasn't quite fast enough. The valves aren't stuck open and won't open -- they will move with a bit of force. The cam usually provides plenty force to open, but then the slow to return closed vale causes the pushrods to fall out and bend when the cam is in the closed position and hte pushrod is no longer properly seated. You were thinking the valve is firmly stuck shut and won't open, I bet!! Never saw one THAT stuck!! Maybe I should have said "sticky" valves instead of "stuck" valves.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"