[Amc-list] Do, do!

If Bart is back in time for Gremlin's B-day, the AMC world is at peace.

He's still here; we're still here, AMC's still here.  By many measures.

When Doc has a "flare" for Hornets, he'll buzz in on 1970 AMX "grills" so AMC circles will be unbroken.  Forever wave the red-white-and-blue.

The more the merrier: it takes a village to make an old-car hobby grow.

If "we almost lost AMC in 1970" (after almost losing AMC in 1955 and in 1957 and in 1967), the AMC world that hummed on 'til 1987 is still here.

It's older and slower and has trouble remembering its own history, but, since Sister Stritch started squawking "I'm Still Here" in "Follies" on April 4, 1971 and she's still here --- along with the Goo Goo Dolls and the next President of the United States --- in 2007, AMC has seen good times and bum times (and seen all its dreams disappear), so let's break out the pretzels and beer.  Everybody rise!  Rise!  Rise!  We'll drink to them.

(If you don't get it, "Company" dates to 1970 also...)

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/news/display?contentId=91961

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Still-Here-John-Rzeznik/dp/B00007J35B

http://stambosongs.blogspot.com/2007/03/hillary-im-still-here.html

(If you still don't get it, reading is fundamental...)

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/follies/imstillhere.htm
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/company/ladieswholunch.htm

Gremlin was a little car built by a little car company that just did it.

Can a lot of little car fans build a car company that can just do it for the future of collector-car AMC?   That would be an amazing place to be.

Just ask AMC's leaders.  Who's in charge today?  Who's at the AMC wheel?

Does it even matter?  Maybe; maybe not.  It's just AMC.

The old car world of eBay is now an amazing place to be.

"The color of the car is called sweeterbit orange with black interior."  (#150107059564)

Texas seems a bit sweeter on AMC than New York State is,

"Miles:  999999
Body Type:  Sedan
Transmission:  Automatic"

(#160102104279),

Buffalo's cars shifted a bit smoother (and earlier) than Detroit's did.

Where else could "photo's proove" that it's an NOS AMC? (#140100633080)

The new car world of today is also an amazing place to be because there, the sale of Chrysler ("Buy-it-now for only $5,000,000,000,000.00") starts tomorrow.

Since China is now the world's #2 auto producer (on its way to becoming #1), does Mopar matter (save to Mercedes' managers) as much as American Motors and Studebaker-Packard once did --- or is Chrysler just the newest Oldsmobile; more American auto history for collector-car crowds to remember or forget as time passes?  Did you note who recently forgot AMC?  Where were you when it happened?  Where were Pat Foster and your AMC club leaders?  Why did it take weeks to correct --- by someone in Kansas?

If you don't get it, get the -first- AN photo of Mitt Romney announcing.  The weekly bible for an entire American automobile industry said he was standing before a Rambler American  --- which, of course, was a Classic.  A classic example of how well American Motors is (or is not) remembered.

What are you doing to change that fact?  Nothing.  Well, then at least buy Chrysler at RM prices.  It's now worth only about 29% as much as General Motors; only 26% as much as Ford.  Chrysler is now worth only 2% (TWO PERCENT!!) of what Toyota is.  When you control Mopar, you can bring back AMX and Ambassador.

General Mess-up and the Ford Motor Truck Company will carry on along with you --- until the next shoe brakes to a halt.  "That's the breaks!" they all say.

Frank, I was writing of what America sees as "best" in every auto era: GM was ahead in the first half of the 1950s, Chrysler took over design after 1957, everyone wanted to look like Pontiac after 1963, Mercedes- Benz was a model for the '80s, and Audi has the leadership role today.  "AMC was Audi" because, sometimes, its designs were tauter and cleaner and, through a rearview mirror, look "better" than some of its competitors' cars.  BMW and M-B may be more "stylish" than Audi --- and thus may be more "copied" by competitors, but some Audis, like some AMCs, might be judged "better" under the light of history.  Or they might steal more style from BMW and M-B.

Style evolves...

http://tinyurl.com/22sgco

so we give it...

http://tinyurl.com/23rlyu

our very first...

http://tinyurl.com/2xum2s

and our second...

http://www.adclassix.com/images/68amcjavelinracing.jpg

and third looks.

http://tinyurl.com/2e5wwv

And then we don't.  What's a "Javalin"?  Hmmm.  Wasn't it a Matador?

Tom, I was writing of what "middle America" buys, not of what "best of" was: not very many middle Americans could or can afford Leica, Zeiss, or Hasselblad; millions worldwide could afford millions of models built by Kodak in America.  Name one American designed/made --- even once named "Kodak" --- camera today.
(The Kodak man, born in America [Spokane] to Japanese-American parents, who made the Chinon connection, is now deceased, but I visit his widow.  His camera collection, in the International Museum of Photography, can be seen by appointment.  Yet another way to remember what America once was --- and has become.)

Todd, It's "Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun" or "Double Trouble":

http://www.semaphoreinc.com/esources/newsletters/images/doublemint1.jpg

http://www.movieposter.com/poster/b70-8693/Double_Trouble.html

http://www.welovebudandterence.com/images/dvd_double_trouble.jpg

1956 = Rambler: beginning of the "full" Rambler era.  1967 = beginning of the "full-line" RWD AMC car era.  1983 = beginning of the end for a "down-to-one-platform" American Motors, after which there were no more RWD AMC cars.  Get it?  AMC history through pop-culture and bubble gum.

Why lurk?  Do some double duty to double interest and activity in AMC!!

"building a Hornet derived vehicle as late as1980."

Or even 87, if you count the Eagle...
<<

...titled for 1988?  What did AMC think it was still playing?  Checkers?

If not an all-time record, lovers, lurkers, oddballs: what of AMC was?

Every fan should know that AMC held a longevity record in -something-.

What???

Yes, you!  Don't hide behind your computer screen; just do it for AMC!