Re: [Amc-list] EFI install on [anything modest]

Re: [Amc-list] EFI install on [anything modest]

In defense of the GM TBI systems (if they really
needed to be defended) I offer the following:

I had an 80 Spirit with an Iron Duke 2.5L and a GM CA
emissions feedback carburetor.  This fuel system had
most of the components of a TBI system except for the
electric fuel pump and whatever fuel pressure
regulator they put on the TBI.  The wiring harness was
married to the AMC body wiring harness in a pretty
elegant manner and but there were two separate wiring
diagrams in the TSM, one for the AMC body electricals,
and one for the GM underhood system.  With the help of
a local machine shop I had that engine rebuilt and
after installation I had a devil of a time getting the
feedback carburetor (which I also rebuilt) to work
properly.  After thinking that the ECM module had gone
toes up, and replacing it with a reconditioned one
from NAPA I found that there was one engine harness
ground wire not properly connected.  As a result of
this struggle I was forced to practically memorize the
TSM and I realized how "easy" it would be to adapt the
feedback system (be it carb or TBI) to another old
AMC.

My current thought is to "some day" put a TBI system
on my 63 Classic wagon with the aluminum 196.  I don't
have to worry about smog police and can make any
modifications on that car that I want.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA