Re: [Amc-list] 1969 javelin 360 jeep engine question

Re: [Amc-list] 1969 javelin 360 jeep engine question

Ken, you can use the tailshaft housing AND OUTPUT SHAFT from any TF-727
transmission, AMC or Chrysler. Only the bell housing bolt pattern is
different. Note that the entire transmission has to come apart to change
the output shaft. You need the shaft because it's longer and has the
speedo gear on it. If the Jeep trans was in good working condition when
it was parked you can get a rebuild kit and go through it yourself.
You'll need a good manual and a couple days, as well as a clean place to
work. Start by getting a junkyard trans to pull the shaft and housing
from. Once you get the shaft out you'll know if putting it all back
together is something you can handle. I've only rebuilt one auto trans,
but if you can handle rebuilding an engine you should be able to handle
the trans.

The key is that nothing is "hard broke" inside the trans when you start
-- it was working. In that case you're just putting in fresh clutches,
bands, gaskets, and seals. All the hard parts can be assumed good. If
that's the case (and you have a manual!!) it's not to hard, though it is
a bit more complicated than an engine. You can find a 73 AMC TSM at
www.tocmp.com (search for "73 AMC TSM"). There is no real difference in
other year 727 trannys. The Jeep trans is slightly different in the
back, but not enough to make any difference. The transfer case comes off
first, then it's just about the same as any other 727.

---------------------------------
Date: Saturday, March 31, 2007 01:38 PM
From: eddiestakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The folks below are asking about a tail shaft question and figured this
would
be best places to post it in a effort to help them out. If anyone cares
comment, please post here but also copy your reply to them and thanks in
advance to all who might reply.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825