[Amc-list] Re; EFI install on [anything modest] a bit of a Rant.

[Amc-list] Re; EFI install on [anything modest] a bit of a Rant.

Mark
I have been rebuilding carbs since I was 14 years old, 50 years ago,
successfully. They are not a mystery to me. So maybe I am above a curve
on them. The last one I worked on arrived at the driveway driven with
the screws so loose in the body that you could lift the pieces up and
down in relation to the intake manifold. The car had not passed smog.
The owner indicated that the car had not run that good since he had
purchased it when it left. It also passed smog that week.
To me they are not rocket science, but that is neither here nor there, I
guess.

Snip
   It seems to me that you are above the curve as far as most people go
for
tuning and fooling with carbs, timing etc;
Snip

As far as being unhappy with the Fuel Injection system I have on my car
I guess that is true. Other than an increase in high RPM performance
which a higher CFM carburetor rating solves, it did not perform as it
was advertised to do and yes there is a story behind it. For the money
expended on it the results were not there.
It has proven to me reliable for the most part in how it operates. Even
the deficiencies have been consistent but it was not a performance
engineered package as implied. Tech support was less than satisfactory
too although part of the support was questioning an installation
situation that was not covered by the recommended applications so that
may be a bit unfair.

Snip
It also seems to me that you have been unhappy with your system and it's
results.
Snip

Nothing wrong with that.
Snip
  I have none of these regrets or problems.
I used a "junkyard" system. I have been nothing but happy with it.
Snip

Emissions are here, it is of prime importance that engine modifications
be done with that thought in mind. If when you are done you are unable
to pass emissions, you might as well have not bothered. And the rules
vary by car, year and state.

My AMC cars and Brand X drivers all pass emissions although I would
prefer to have an exemption for collector cars. That may come to pass in
Arizona at the end of April this year. Even California has something of
that order.

Snip
  No emmisions here.
Snip

With the possible exception of an aftermarket adjustable map sensor at a
bit better than a "C" note, there is no tune-ability available for my
system. As far as I know.

Snip
Tuneability can be had.
Snip

Had I known how to get an extensively modified 1980 car through smog 8
years ago I would not have gone the fuel injection route! For less than
a 3rd of the money and about the same amount of time I could have gone a
4bbl route and been for the most part more satisfied in the long run.
However I had the money at the time and the curiosity to try to
accomplish it so no sense in coulda woulda shoulda, but it is a decision
of some complexity that I think a lot of people have not thought through
far enough to accomplish it. As it stands I can supply fan out info for
a number of set ups if people would like that information. As there is
some limitations to that I need a request in order to do that but in
many cases that is a place to start.
Also, I have not found a requirement on the GM TBI fan out to monitor
oil pressure. Nor do I remember wondering across that need for the
Chrysler unit used on my 3.3 V6 Caravan that I sold.
Maybe that requirement was for a specific year as there is a lot of
subtle changes from year to year that are not evident until you start
looking.

John