Re: [Amc-list] most expensive piece of crap led on the planet

Re: [Amc-list] most expensive piece of crap led on the planet

Mark:
Let this be a warning to efi swap guys! Don't use the tach feed from the
91-95 ecu to drive a Sport Comp tach! If you do you will  get needle
flutter
below 2000 rpm. You need to use the coils neg terminal feed.....

Keliegh:
Hmmm, I wonder if that explains the strange behavior of the tach in my
Eagle. Ever since I installed the 4.0 and Renix, it's behaved strangely,
especially at low speeds. A few weeks ago, the tach died altogether,
freezing at 3000rpm.
------------------------------

I wired a Sun Mini-Tach to the Renix tach wire with no problems. Works
great! The Renix signal may be different than later HO models. Although
the EFI system works the same on Renix and HO, some of the signals
changed when the switch was made to the Chrysler/Phillips HO system. One
I know for sure that changed is the crankshaft position sensor (CPS).
The Renix reads a current produced by the sensor (really nothing more
than a coil) while the HO uses a Hall Effect (magnetic) switch.

Keleigh, some of the factory tachs are current sensing types. Those wire
completely different from the "counting" type that connect to the
negative side of the coil (it counts the build/collapse cycles of the
coil). If you're careful you may be able to gut a factory tach and
replace it with the movement from a Sun Mini-Tach. I've seen that done
before with other makes.