Re: [Amc-list] EFI install on [anything modest]

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> That's just a nasty rumour!!!
> No one has ever installed an efi in an old car.
> Can't be done.

That's good enough for me :-)

Seriously --

I've held out on EFI simply due to time and money. I would
really like to find a "carb replacement" TBI-based system that
does not require head or flywheel/flexplate/transmission work,
and that will work with a distributor ignition.

Adapting the carb to the manifold and linkages are no problem
for me.  But there's a bewildering array of things to research.

A bolt-on kit like Howell is simply too much money I do not
have to spend.

I'm actually a little surprised that there's not a well-known
TBI replacement for say a BBD worked up.

For me, it would go on my 25,000/year daily driver, so extended
downtime isn't an option. My other cars are don't-care for
EFI/TBI; one's propane-only, the little Rambler will be a fun
antique toy (195.6ci), our 72 Hornet is dead-stock short-haul
commuter with a Carter YF (but would be another carb-replacement
candidate).

I know a few Ford truck suggestions passed through this list,
but has anyone actually got one to run?

A 2bbl equiv TBI with built-in MAF, coolant and O2 sensor and
computer, plus the fuel pump system, seems like it ought to be
enough to get rid of the carb.