[Amc-list] Marlin brake failure

I'm almost in agreement with Wayne. The booster has a spring in it, and
most likely that failed since it affected the brake pedal and stopping
power on all four wheels. But you should pull the drums and check them
again.

You can get a replacement booster, or have yours rebuilt.

The Ford Galaxie booster mounts similar to the Rambler, and can be
adapted, but you have to get the brackets, booster, and master cylinder
kit (I recommend www.mpbrakes.com, order for a 68 Galaxie). The brackets
should bolt right on, but you may have to alter the pushrod length from
pedal to bell crank. It's possible the brackets may need to be
redrilled, but I've made this change before and it bolted right on. I
did have to use an adapter for one of the brake lines, but it's best to
replace the line between the MC and junction block.

The booster rod that attaches to the bell crank is different on the Ford
or any newer booster. I modified a 1996 or so Ford Ranger booster to fit
original Rambler brackets. The brackets were drilled to mount the
booster and the pushrod was shortened. I welded a grade 5 nut to the end
of the shortened pushrod to serve as the eye. To prevent melting seals a
wet towel was wrapped around the pushrod before welding with a MIG.
Stick welding creates too much heat -- you must use a MIG. I don't think
there's room for a TIG torch. This is definitely a "try at your own
risk" proposition! You could get the rod to short or melt a seal. If you
do try it, test in a safe location before taking it on the road. As you
now know, if the booster isn't working you still have brakes, but need a
lot more time and room to stop. Try a couple panic stops with the new
setup. I got a booster from a pick-n-pull yard for $25, it was worth
trying! I can say that it worked great, and I'm still driving the car
five years later. The brakes are excellent!