Re: [Amc-list] Re; Trans AM Stuff

Frank,

I would agree with you about the Trans Am look alike (clone) series. I have
been
scheming to build exactly one of those. I'm still looking for the correct
opportunity,
but my pathetic rambler mentality keeps getting in the way.

I'm an SCCA member since 1983. I'm not sure if there is a specific class to
compete in,
but I think a TA clone could run in either GT-1 or A Sports. You would be
sadly out classed
in GT-1 even at the regional level. A Sports is a regional class only, with
very little participation.
You may even be able to win a class race there because you'd be the only
entrant !! Rofl.
Then again if you spent a ton of money and built a full tube chassis, and
had a $35,000 engine,
all fiberglass body (roof used to be required to be metal not sure now)
quick change rear axle,
big brakes, the whole package............

I saw a 70 Javelin at Road America once in the 80s, it was RWB and jacked up
too high for tire clearance,
I think it had roll cage and other road racing goodies installed like fuel
cell, etc, never saw it again,
don't recall seeing it on the track, handling would have been very evil the
way it was set up.

Then in the 90s sometime another 70 Javelin was at RA, it looked like a # 6
clone, I don't think it was the real
thing, but there are pictures of it all over the internet now. As far as I
can figure out the original #6 car did not have the fenders
altered for tire clearance, anyone know differently?  I asked some of the
members of the region I'm in (land o lakes)
for any information about it but I got very little response. Does anyone
know any more?? I never got to see that one dang it.

Armand