[Amc-list] Re; Popular Hotrodding and the Camaro

Frank said:
>Most magazines are businesses too, and they can't sell enough to the
AMC
crowd -- there just aren't enough of us.>

Jock Jocewicz:
Frank, I have to disagree with your statement. What about Car Craft,
which has higher circulation than PHR (both owned by the same company)?
Car Craft has had a lot of AMC content the past few years!!
----

Frank:
Yes, they've had some AMC content, and have probably added a few
subscribers. But if you surveyed their subscribers and found out how
many subscribed just because they have some AMC content, the numbers
would be in the hundreds at best, I doubt even a thousand, but even if
I'm wrong, couldn't be more than a couple thousand -- which is still a
drop in the bucket for them. Not enough to warrant the coverage, really.
All three AMC clubs combined probably have less than 4,000 individuals
(discounting multiple memberships). IIRC, from the last numbers I've
seen, there are only about 5,500 memberships in all three combined,
counting those who have multiple memberships (in other words, a lot of
people are counted twice and a few thrice in that 5,500 number). If all
4,000 subscribed to a single magazine, a large publishing company
wouldn't keep it in print.

So why do they do it? Like Mark said -- people like to see something
different every now and then! So they throw an AMC bone in there on
occasion to keep everyone happy. And I would go so far as to say most of
those "AMC" articles are applicable to cars in general, an AMC just
happens to be the car used to illustrate the mod. Like the dash board
rebuild -- applicable to anyone thinking about modifying their dash and
installing new custom gauges. The same with the paint articles. Right
now AMC has an underdog and "different" status. The cars are interesting
and can still be a bargain compared to more popular cars, and they are
relatively easy to modify. So there's some interest...

I'm glad they are using AMCs, I'm grateful for the bone, but it's still
throwing us a bone. Making the bone look tasty to others is a plus in
two ways -- it gives the mag a good excuse/reason to feature an AMC, and
it garners some attention to AMCs, encouraging people not to overlook
them as much as they have in the past. It helps the AMC hobby in general
gain a little more respect and notice. But a bone is still a bone.