Re: [Amc-list] Engine Swaps (was Trademarks)

--- Don Johnson <donjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know it could be seen as heresy, but I would love
> to build a Javelin with that Lexus V8 power train
> and suspension and brakes.
> What a performer, roughly 260 cu. in., about 300 HP,
> the suspension and brakes to handle it, and roughly
> 24 miles per gallon.
> Do you think the big 3 would sell something like
> that, if they built it?
> Damn right !!
> Don

Joe Fulton:
No try the Javelin with an LS1/T-56 combo.  Say 400 to
500 horsepower without trying too hard.  PHR is doing
that swap into a Fox body Mustang right now.  I can
imagine the Ford guys screaming and threatening to
cancel subscriptions.

Frank:
I understand people wanting to use other drivetrains in AMCs. They are
more modern and trouble free, and readily available. Parts and service
is easy too. Face it, the last AMC V-8 was made 16 years ago, and the
last V-8 rear drive only trans 29 years ago. Okay, the 904 can be built
to handle a mild V-8 -- the last rear drive only AMC trans was made 24
years ago. If you can handle the electronics, or don't mind a manual
electric shifter like I use, the AW4 can be considered the last rear
drive auto trans, only discontinued a year ago. The AX/15 stick isn't a
slick shifter, but was still available a year ago. Neither are good in
stock form for anything but a bone stock 2V 360, and then you better not
push it. Anything else takes adapters.

If you have to buy a trans, adapter, and rebuild a Jeep 360, you'll find
that purchasing a ready to run LS-1 350 and trans with under 60K miles
on it will likely be cheaper. There will still be some adapting, but the
engine should be as powerful as a mild 360, easy to get serviced and
find parts for, and run smoother. This isn't heresy; it's the bald faced
truth. AMO has recognized this by having a non-AMC powered AMC class.
That's great, and the cars aren't competition for the true AMCs, and
they don't compete for the America's Cup -- just among themselves. Even
a non-AMC powered AMC can help keep the legacy of AMC alive... and they
need other parts too.

I'm a die-hard AMC fan, and definitely prefer to see AMC engines used,
but I'm not oblivious to the facts. Restored cars need to be RESTORED,
not highly modified. "Restored Javelin, was six cylinder car, now 390
V-8"... I see that all the time for ALL makes! That IS NOT a "restored"
car!! If you're swapping like that, it won't matter a whole lot if it's
an AMC 390 or an LS-1. The LS-1 car wouldn't appeal as much to a real
AMC fan or serious collector, but to the overall muscle car enthusiast
or general public who wants a drivable car, it will have a certain
amount of appeal. Again, that's just the facts. Older model Ramblers,
mostly 58-60 Americans right now, are bringing pretty big bucks as hot
rods, usually with Chevy V-8 power. Much more than a restored one would
ever bring. I hate to see it, but maybe it will create a demand for the
body and trim parts that are hard to get, even if it doesn't help
drivetrain components, which for the most part are still available. Of
course I'll keep my AMCs all AMC as much as possible, and if I decide to
use a modern V-8 it will most likely be a modernized AMC 360 with the
trans adapter, but I can't fault people for wanting newer drivetrains.
I've already suggested the 4.7L Chrysler engine as the "most acceptable"
alternative, since it does use some AMC V-8 engineering cues.

All that said, I still have plans for a 62 American roadster powered by
a Ford 2.3L turbo engine from a Mercur XR4ti...