Re: [Amc-list] WTB: 1964 196 ci OHV iron head in Michigan

Re: [Amc-list] WTB: 1964 196 ci OHV iron head in Michigan

The cast iron cylinder liners are siamesed in pairs. I do know that the
same crank, pistons, and rods were used in the AL and Iron engines, but
there is room in the piton to offset it a little. From the pics I've
seen the bore centers are uniform across all six though. The siamesed
sections appear to be nearly touching each other. As far as I can
tell/know the bore centers are the same on the AL and Iron versions.
Here's a photo link:
http://www.carcraft.com/junkyardcrawl/ccrp_0608_junkyard_crawl_aluminum_
block/photo_02.html. Also see www.geocities.com/dr_rambler/aluminum.html
or www.geocities.com/dr_rambler/aluminum.html.

I've heard of, but not actually seen, someone using an iron engine head
on an AL engine the way I described -- by screwing and epoxying a piece
of 1/4" bar (may have been 1/8") across the right side of the head. The
screws were mainly to keep the bar clamped in place while the epoxy
cured, but they told me left them in -- no harm. The head was then
planed level, cutting as little as possible from the head itself.