[Amc-list] Popular Hottrodding and the Camaro

[Amc-list] Popular Hottrodding and the Camaro

I often buy this magazine (PHR) off the newstand
because of the technical articles, but I gotta admit
the editors don't know much about, and care less,
about AMC.  They do have a several page article in the
May issue about the development of the Camaro and
there is some interesting info in the article.

One thing I did not know is that GM was testing the
Mustang at it's proving grounds eleven days before it
was released to the public (1 April 1964, I think.).
Seems there was a gentleman's agreement between the
companies that they would each supply the competing
company with an example of each new model before it
was released to the public.  After 14 days of testing,
GM decided that they needed to develop what becamee
the Camaro to compete with the Mustang.

They give first 1967 sales figures (first year of
Camaro sales) to show that it probably did begin to
cut into Mustang sales.  They mention the Barracuda
figures for 1967 too, and then there was the poor AMC
Marlin with only about 4500 sold.  No wonder people
were laughing at AMC and isn't it amazing how the AMX
and Javelin changed some peoples minds about the
company ........but not the editors at PHR evidently.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA